19.12.11

RIght down to business

After arriving home from Germany late Wednesday night, I had the opportunity to jump right into Circuit Breaker action first participating in an annual poetry reading event on Friday, and over the weekend fabricating two identical spacers to be used with 8" Omniwheels in the drive train of this years secondary robot. While the process went relatively smoothly, it was not altogether straightforward (in that I was doing things I had never done before). I started by chopping a plate of aluminum down for the two pieces needed, then using a rotary table (a tool I have never used before), I milled an outside circumference. From there I punched six holes, which the rotary table made incredibly easy due to the fact that it is equipped with exact angle measurements so all I needed to do was drill a whole, and turn the piece 60 degrees; drill another whole, turn it another 60 degrees. Lather, rinse, repeat. From there I drilled and bored out the inner diameter on a lathe. All this happened at the Design Massif machine shop in conjunction with Adam Reif, a mentor on the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment